And Just to remind you that my Seminar of school admission on 22nd September 2012 is sold out.
To book your couple seat for 13th October 2012 Kindly see below.
Sometimes I wonder if the parents today have lost it?
I mean young parents with just 1 to 2 year old babies call to find out about speech therapy?
I think its becoming like a fashion to talk and discuss speech therapy as one of the happening things in the society! Young DINKs (double income) parents especially seem to be worried about their kids. Are they really worried about their kids or is it their guilt that is making them insecure and look for corrective actions at a age when their kids are not even exposed to the talking world.
When should you NOT worry about speaking abilities of your kids:
- At the age of 1 year, 2 years and 2.5 years.
- When the child utters few words like mumma, papa, water, mumum, dudu etc clearly.
- When the child is single child in a nuclear family.
- When there are parents both going to work, leaving the child with a full time maid who obviously does not talk to the baby as she is more keen to finish her work and watch TV.
- When grandparents also are watching TV all the time.
- When the kid has never been to any playschool.
- When the kid can easily hear everything and responds to sound in all directions. (check it at home by clapping suddenly at any side of the child's head)
- When after coming back home, the parents do not have the energy to talk or read to the child something interesting than watching TV.
- DO not compare with your other child's speech timings or abilities. They all have different combinations of chromosomes in their genes to make them different . 🙂
When should you really start Worrying about your child's speech:
- When at the age of 3 years the child does not utter even a single word clearly.
- When the child does not respond to sounds from distance or nearby.
- When there is an obvious physical problem in the throat, neck, face, lips or tongue of the baby.
- When the child does not utter any words or shows any interest even when has been going to a playschool for a quater or six months.
- When the child is stammering or not able to say correct phonetic for any of the alphabets and letters or words.
- When even in the joint family child does not talk even a single word. (This really scary as there may be reasons to investigate other than speech or hearing).
- When the child is going to primary school and suffers from stammering or any such problems.
- When all of a sudden the speech has changed (time to investigate health and psychology).
- When parents talk a lot with the child and still find no change.
What to do when the worrying points are visible :
- Immediately meet a pediatrician who will assess the age and required speech abilities.
- Meet 2-3 speech therapists and start sessions asap.
- Do not go to speech therapists who will call you once in a week or month. You are wasting your money and time with no change in speech of the child.
- Speech is easily correctible if the parents focus and take pain to correct their child's baby talks asap.
- Stop talking to the babies in their baby way, but talk like an adult. Remember they do not know that you are imitating them. They will assume what you say as the right way.
- Stop reffering to objects in baby terms like mumum, ninnu etc etc
- Take the child to the hearing test in case the clap test fails.
- Many kids do not talk because they do not hear properly or hear faintly.
- Practice every 3- hours with your child for 5-10 min to reinforce the correct speech else it will be too late to correct.
Anything other than these points which I am able to recollect now, do comment below the post.
Powered by Facebook Comments